Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Sashimi Salad


Going to Asian grocer shops is an adventure on its own. I finally overcame my shyness and fear of people and asked a shop worker who was stacking shelves if they mustard powder. The young man looked at me blankly as though I spoke a foreign language which I must have, to his ears. I wasn't sure whether he was taking me to the mustard powder or running away from me. Regardless of his move, I followed him like a lost puppy. At the end of the journey through the narrow isles he finally stopped at an older man who appeared to be wiser and richer. As they spoke in Chinese I eagerly waited for the further direction. However, it shortly ended abruptly with the older man giving me another kind of look and walking away. Before the young shop assistant had a chance to finish the older man, just shook his head and said 'no'.
I wasn't quite sure what his 'no' really meant, but I soon figured what he meant by saying 'no' was 'No, I don't want to help you.' not 'No, we are really sorry but we don't have that particular product'. I was left to negotiate through the isles in search for mustard in powder. As walking through the isles I thought very hard using my left brain to consider ways to use instead of the powder. Somehow I did find the mastard powder in the Japanese isle. The sheer joy needed to be shared. Hence, I found the shop assistant and showed him that 'Yes, the shop does have mustard powder and yes, the old man was wrong'. I must say it was a real sense of achievement.
Cutting up sashimi pieces was a lot easier than I expected. I plucked the bones with a pair of tweezers which was surprisingly satisfying. It was kind of like plucking eye brow hair. In fact here is a tip for you, you can use the eyebrow pluckers to remove the bones from the fillet.
Now in hindsight I don't think I did the right thing by the red chillies. The instruction was to roast them and then grind them to a powder. "Roasting" according to the dictionary means cook by prolong exposure to heat in an oven or over a fire. Instead, I used chilli flakes and fried in oil.
What I did not understand is the amount of soy sauce and rice vinegar used in the dressing. It was enough to drown the salmon, in fact probably the whole salmon. So, if you are not a huge fan of raw fish and need some help to forget that they are raw, this is a great dish to try.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy, sashimi salad~ my favourite... I don't know about using my tweezers to pick bones off the salmon..hmmm... I think I'll need to give you a lesson or two in personal hygiene :)

    ReplyDelete