Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Marinated Salmon Salad


Before I mention anything, I have to say that I don't watch TV much. Hence, seeing Neil Perry on Poh's kitchen can be interpreted a fortuitous blessing and perhaps some kind of confirmation that I am destined to do this challenge. What was even more funny was that my husband's parents' neighbour, who is a cook at a Chinese Restaurant in Sydney was captured in the show.
With added sense of destiny I went onto prepare the next dish in the book, Marinated Salmon Salad.
Tips for the dish
I bought the tail portion of the salmon fillet, because I was promised by the butcher (what is the name of the person who sells seafood?) that there won't be any bones in the piece. I forgot to buy a salmon roe which was disappointing on my part or another way of looking at it will be adding a surprise element to my cooking endeavours.
I have discovered that toasting peanuts is a fine art. One minute I was happy roasting away feeling like a competent chef and the next minute I was looking at utterly burnt peanuts (hence, the blurry edge to my artistic photo shot).
Needlessly to say that the salad was divine with the right mix of textures (although the peanut was more on gritty side rather than crunchy). It would have been a fiesta with the fish roe to complete the orchestra of smooth, crunch and pop.

1 comment:

  1. Fishmonger. Sounds great! When do we get to be part of the taste-testing audience for your cooking challenge? You're inspiring me to cook more. I've been so lazy in the kitchen lately.

    ReplyDelete