Friday, March 19, 2010

To BBQ a duck


The excuse that I have today for not executing a perfect meal is that my daughter is still recovering for her Foot and mouth disease. Although recovering from her illness she was very demanding. I am hoping her sickness hasn't caused personality alteration. She was nicer when she didn't say 'no' so often.
I had to face the inevitable today. without my sister-in-law in sight I had to do the honour of cutting the neck off and removing the fatty deposit in the cavity (just like doing a lipo-sucking I suppose). What I wasn't prepared for, was how it looked so much like a duck. Usually when I am slicing a piece of meat, I am not reminded how it is a part of a cow. As I extended its long neck I had flash back of the ducks at Norwest pond floating in peace. Why do they have to look so much like duck? what was worse is that to distract my daughter from whinging I would actually say to her, "look! A duck!". How horrified would my daughter who has learnt the word 'duck' before "mum" to see a duck in such form.
When poaching a duck it is good to have enough of boiling water to cover the duck. One thing to be mindful however is that ducks float, even without their feathers.
My husband came to my rescue and finished the cooking off by doing the BBQ, because that is what a man is good at.
The BBQ duck was not as much as a seller as the roast duck.
Needless to say that I will not be craving for a duck dish too soon.

2 comments:

  1. Hey welcome to the wide world of blogging! I look forward to reading more of your cooking adventures (and misadventures) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome to my world of cooking Lea! I have to say blogging has been an adventure in itself.

    ReplyDelete